Eligibility Criteria and Requirements
As the field of disability management continues to evolve, eligibility criteria for CDMS certification reflects broader professional diversity in the field. Today, practitioners represent a variety of disciplines including human resources, nursing, occupational health, safety, and risk management, as well as more traditional backgrounds such as vocational rehabilitation counseling. Based on the 2014 Role & Function Study, the current practice areas include Disability and Work Interruption Case Management; Workplace Intervention for Disability Prevention; Program Development, Management, and Evaluation; and Employment Leaves and Benefits Administration.
To meet the eligibility criteria for the CDMS Certification Exam, applicants must possess both the educational and the employment requirements as outlined below. Additionally, those applying must abide by the principles and ethical requirements of the CDMS Professional Code of Conduct. Complete details on the certification program including the application process, acceptable employment experience, exam content and fees are outlined in the CDMS Guide for Candidate Certification. Applicants are encouraged to review this Guide prior to completing their application. The guide is updated periodically, so if you have reviewed or downloaded it in the past, make sure you have the most recent copy.
- At the time of application, the applicant must be currently employed in the field of absence and disability management AND
- At the time of application, applicants must be able to attest that within the past 36 months a minimum of 2080 hours of their documented work experience aligns with at least 2 of the 4 domains/practice areas.
- Experience must focus on the provision of direct administrative, preventative or case management services to individuals experiencing short or long-term health events. This includes working with individuals who have been impacted by their ability to maintain their economic standard of living and/or are receiving wage replacement benefits from a private, local, state or federal disability wage replacement system.
- The CDMS Commission will accept only paid employment as a valid fulfillment of the employment criteria.
- Internships and volunteer activities are NOT acceptable as employment experience
APPLICATION & FEES
- Applicants must complete the online application and submit it with the appropriate fees no later than 5pm EST on the date of the application deadline
- All applicants are subject to an audit to validate education and/or licensure and work experience
Self-employed applicants must complete the CDMS Self Employment Verification Form
, providing information for 3 difference purchasers of their service and upload the form to their online application
Application window is now open until 6/30/2017 for the September 2017 exam. Please click here to apply!